How Much is the SASSA Child Support Grant?

How Much is the SASSA Child Support Grant?

How much is SASSA child support grantSouth African Social Security Agency (SASSA) is a government agency to provide financial assistance to South Africans in need.

It was created in 2005 as an agency within the Department of Social Development.

Some of the grants they offer are: Child support grant, disability grant, foster child grant, care dependency grant, older person grant, social relief of distress, and during this pandemic, a special COVID-19 Special Relief of Distress Grant.

Among the most utilized grant is the child support grant.

Read: Tax-free Investments in South Africa.. Everything You Need To Know

Who qualifies for the Child Support Grant?

The grant is meant for poor and vulnerable families. These are typically lower-income households with at least one child.

To apply, you must meet these conditions:

1.  Be a primary caregiver, responsible for the child or children.

2. Be a South African citizen or permanent resident.

3. If single, earn a salary of not more than R4000 per month.

4. If married, the combined income of the couple should not exceed R8000 per month.

The child must meet these conditions:

1. Must be younger than 18 years.

2. Must live with the primary caregiver in South Africa, who must not be under employment to look after the child. e.g. nanny.

3. Must not be in the care of the state.

4. If more than 6 children are under your care, they must biological or legally adopted.

Who does not qualify for the SASSA Child Support Grant?

You will not get the grant if you fall into any of these categories:

/ You are paid to look after the child.

/ You are not the child’s primary caregiver. Even if you are the child’s parent.

/ If someone else is already getting a grant for the child.

/ You represent an institution that takes care of the child.

How much is the SASSA grant per child?

As you may know, the SASSA child support grant is issued out on a per child basis.

The amount currently stipulated by the government is R450 per child, per month. This changes regularly, sometimes on a yearly basis.

How to check SASSA Child support grant balance.

If you are a beneficiary of the child support grant, there is an easy way of knowing your balance using your phone.

1. Dial *120*3210# on your phone

2. Follow the prompts

If that does not work, try with this other USSD code:

1. Dial *120*69277# on your phone

2. Follow the prompts

Please do not give your card or reveal your pin to anyone you don’t trust.

How to apply for SASSA Child Support Grant

You can make your application at your nearest SASSA office or counter service point of a Regional Office.

The application must be made in the presence of a SASSA official, and a receipt issued.

You can also apply for SASSA child support grant online on the SASSA website.

Whatever method you opt for, the following documents must be attached:

1. Your bar-coded South African Identity Document.

2. The child’s birth certificate with the ID number indicated.

3. Your salary slip, bank statements for 3 months, or pension slips, and any other proof of income.

4. For those unemployed, provide your Unemployment Insurance Fund (UIF) card (blue book), or a discharge letter from your most recent employer.

5. If you’re not the child’s parent or guardian, a written note of permission from the parent or guardian that you should take care of the child,

6. If you’re not the child’s parent or guardian, information about how you’ve tried to get the parents to pay maintenance,

7. Information that shows that you are the child’s primary caregiver.


If your grant application is denied, you can appeal.

If it is approved, you will start receiving payments within 3 months, but they will be backdated to the date of application.

When does SASSA child support grant payment stop?

This is obviously not a permanent grant from the government. It has its shelf-life, and these are some of the instances when the child support grant can stop.

/ The end of the month in which the child turns 18.

/ If the caregiver doesn’t claim for 3 consecutive months.

/ If the child is absent from the country.

/ If the child is admitted to a state institution.

/ If the child dies.

* The department must be notified on any changes to your child’s circumstances.

For more information, contact the SASSA toll-free number: 0800 60 10 11 or 013 754 9428/54 from 8am to 4pm, Monday to Friday.

Read: Does NSFAS Still Issue Out Book Vouchers?